Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Payne Center


I went to for my first Masters Swim practice Monday on campus at USM (The University of Southern Mississippi - where I just happened to have gone to school).  The natatorium is at The Payne Center....hmmmm... is that an omen? (The Pain Center?)  When I was in High School and swam for the Ocean Springs YMCA the State Swim Meet  was held on campus at the same pool.  It hasn’t changed much.  There was a fire at the complex in April and the pool just opened at the end of May so there weren’t any lane ropes yet.  They're on order.  It made for a slightly challenging swim – like open water swimming.  It was kind of fun….. kind of.  I only had my left hand bashed twice.   Not good because earlier that morning I smashed my pinky finger in the car door!

I haven’t had an opportunity to swim with a group since we lived in Texas where I swam with DAM – Dallas Aquatic Masters.   I think that was about 7 years ago. 

I got there later than I like for a practice – I knew where the natatorium was but the stupid GPS (turn left turn left turn left) directed me to the middle of campus, I should have just trusted what I knew.  Everyone was already in the pool getting some instruction from the coach.  I walked in and they all looked at me like I had two heads.  Then I saw someone I recognized from the past – Chris Boyd, a triathlete that used to manage a Champs Sporting Goods store across the way from the Victoria’s Secret that I ran in Cortana Mall in Baton Rouge, LA.  It was where I got my running shoes – I don’t remember exactly when it was but I do know that neon was popular.  Lets just say it was a long time ago. 

I got in what would be the second to the fastest lane with three other swimmers – all men.  The fast lane next to us had 4 swimmers – all men.  Where are all the women athletes????  I cued up 4th behind the other three guys in the lane.  One was James Daniel, he is also a blogger -PowerMultisport.  I found him on BeginnerTriathlete.com when I was scoping out the Mississippi Forums trying to find some local triathletes.

It was a decent swim. The coach is good and seems pretty nice too.  Since the summer Masters program has just started up the sets were shorter.  Good for me since I haven’t been in the water since my last race at White Lake.  The water was a little like swimming in a washing machine. 
Since I’ve been swimming alone for the past SEVEN years I’m hoping that this will get my swim fitness to a new level!   I’ll let you know.

p.s.  Went to my second swim with the group today, swam in the fast lane today.  The lane I was in yesterday was crowded.  This is going to be good!!!  I can’t wait to get back into real swim shape and see what I can do!

Tomorrow I'm planning on my first group ride - 5:45am!  Eeesh....that's early!

3 comments:

  1. Hello and Welcome to Hattiesburg. I'm not a triathlete, but I am a runner. If you are interested, a group will be starting Tues. night track this week, June 14th @ Thames Elementary @ 5:30pm. Last year we had a few triathlete who participated. (40th Ave. down to Jamestown. Left on Jamestown until you see the track on the left)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome (back)! I swim at the Payne center a couple of times a week at 6AM. I live in Hattiesburg, and run most mornings around town. Congrats on winning your AG! Hope to see you around town sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are closer to family--what a blessing for all of you.

    Also glad that so many are already welcoming you into their community--I'm sure you will make many good friends and find great races in your new digs.

    Love you, girl! J

    PS: Send me your new address!!!

    ReplyDelete