Monday, January 10, 2011

On Turning 50

Next month I turn 50.   Half a Century.  
The Big FIVE -O.

For some reason this is really bothering me, I know it's "just a number" and "you're only as old as you feel" but I'm not looking forward to this Birthday.  Maybe it's the new age group?  Maybe that in some races I'll now be racing in the "Grand Masters" catagory.  I know I don't look my age but just the same this is going to be a tough one. 

You would think that moving into a new age group would mean easier competition.  But unfortunately my main competition - Kari, Sharon, Rebecca - are all "aging up" this year too.  Great.  Plus there is a woman from Kure Beach who is already in the age group that consistently kicks my you know what whenever we race together, her name is Karen.  I do get to get away from Carol, Cheryl and another Rebecca though, at least for a few years!  This means that maybe my friend Carol won't be gunning for me at every race.  Not!  She's already planning revenge at the Kure Beach Triathlon in June.  I told her to keep dreaming!

I'm not sure what I'm doing to celebrate my Birthday - we talked about going to Disney World, or maybe New Orleans.  Either would be good for me, what better place to act like a kid? 






Growing Older But Not Up
I rounded first never thought of the worst
As I studied the shortstop's position
Then crack went my leg like the shell of an egg
Someone call a decent physician
I'm no Pete Rose, I can't pretend
While my mind is quite flexible
these brittle bones don't bend

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead
 


Sometimes I see me as an old manatee
Heading south as the waters grow colder
He tries to steer clear of the hum drum so near
It cuts prop scars deep in his shoulders
That's how it flows right to the end
His body's still flexible but that
Barnacle brain don't bend


So now don't get me wrong
This is not a sad song
Just events that I have happened to witness
And time takes it's toll as we head for the poll
And no one dies from physical fitness
That's how it goes, right to the end
As the days grow more complicated the night life still wins

Let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead.

-Jimmy Buffett

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you're aging up. LOL! You continue to amaze me how fast you are, so don't let a silly little number get you down. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, I'm faster after 50 then before 50, so you can do it to. The only down side about turning 50 is AARP starts sending you junk mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're still the youngest youngster I know and a great inspiration to all of us around you. Happy 50 in just a few weeks--you deserve to enjoy your big day acting like a kid and laughing with a big old adult's-only drink in your hand!!!

    ReplyDelete