Monday, September 25, 2017

The Ironman Training Paradigm Shift



I am a sprint distance triathlete. The last Olympic distance race I did was 3 years ago. The last half Ironman I did was 5 years ago. Since then my “long run” is typically 5 miles. I’ve been protecting/preserving my knees. I had zero plans of ever attempting another Ironman.

Never say never, right?

All of a sudden my 5 mile Sunday Recovery Run has become my short run. It feels effortless, done in a flash. The Paradigm Shift. (Since the 1960s, the concept of a paradigm shift has also been used in numerous non-scientific contexts to describe a profound change in a fundamental model or perception of events, even though Kuhn himself restricted the use of the term to the physical sciences. – Wikipedia).

Fifty miles on the bike was the traditional Saturday long ride. Now it feels short.

Don’t you just love the Ironman Paradigm Shift? I do!

I can already tell that I’m going to have those post Ironman blues.

I am truly enjoying my training and the consistency. My husband told me that he is proud of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment