Thursday, May 16, 2013

I'm A Lifer

Note:  I wrote this post for my ICEdot blog.  I thought I would share it here too!

I'm A Lifer

I was thinking the other day about my life as a triathlete.  I’ve met a lot of triathletes in my years.  Pretty much all of them get into the sport and after a few years stop racing.  Maybe it’s because they start having children, maybe it’s because they’ve met all their goals, maybe it’s because they just burn out.

That’s not me.  I’m a lifer.  Granted, I don’t have kids so it’s been easier to continue my triathlon lifestyle over the years.  I know I will continue to train and race until my body just can’t take it anymore.  Lifetime triathlete.  I love this sport.

Maybe I continue on because it is something I found that I do well?  I’ve found that at 52 I don’t race against my age group anymore.  My goal is set on placing in the top few overall women at the races.  It’s fun seeing the number 52 by my name in the top 10 overall women.  I wonder how much longer I can remain towards the top.  I wonder how many more years my poor knees have in them.

I decided years ago that once my knees don’t allow me to run or ride anymore that I will take up golf.  At least that way I can be outside for hours on end enjoying the sunshine and fresh air.  And… I will always swim.  I want to be one of those little old ladies who are at the pool regularly swimming Masters.

In 2015, two years from now I will have been racing triathlons for 30 years.  I’m a lifer.  Are  you?



The ICEdot Crash Sensor attaches to a helmet and notifies emergency contacts of a crash and your location. Be the first to own one. Sign up for our Crash Sensor newsletter and we'll email you when it's ready to purchase.   https://icedot.org

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration Ginger!

    I love those little old ladies (and guys) that swim at our pool. They can barely stand up straight on the pool deck but they can swim like a fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, and I wonder - when did you reach the point when you knew you were a "lifer"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lifer too. At 55 years old this year, I've only being tri-ing for 13 years. I love the sport and the community. Like you I have seen most of my training buddies come and go after achieving a certain tri goal or getting married, having babies, etc. Being relatively new to the sport, I'm getting faster as I age and continually learning. Looking forward to running into you again at a race in our 60s!

    ReplyDelete