Monday, November 12, 2012

Post Race Depression



Note:  This is a post from my ICEdot blog.

I’ve experienced the dreaded Post Race Depression after an Ironman but never before after a shorter race – in this case a Half Ironman.   After Ironman Canada back in 1992 I remember lying around feeling extremely unmotivated.   A friend of mine called me and asked if I was feeling the Post Race Depression.  It was one of those AH HA moments!!  Now it made sense! Since Austin 70.3 I’ve been tired and sleepy and generally cranky.  Compound this with the Time Change last weekend and what do you get?  An extremely lethargic, lazy, and pathetic girl!

In a previous ICEdot blog I posted my training schedule – I had the same type of calendar pages written out for Canada.  I crossed off each day’s workouts after their completion and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment.   In my other Ironman and Half Ironman races I had training schedules but wasn’t as dedicated about following them and they weren’t in the same format on calendar pages.  Plus those races didn’t go as well for me as Canada and Austin and I think that has something to do with it.

Usually the  recommended way of overcoming these blues is to sign up for another race, even if it’s just a 5K or 10K.   But I’m still having some major problems with the Plantar Faciitis in my right foot, and my right knee is still really hurting so I haven’t even thought about running yet.  That usually helps me too – and it’s fall so the weather is ideal for running ….sigh….and I’m out of Kinesio Tape (need to order more.)  How many more excuses do you think I can find? One of my friends said what helps her is to do something good or nice for someone else.  Went to watch my friend Becky race at Ironman Florida, that was nice!!  Nope… depression still lingering. I need to snap out of it!!

Going for a bike ride with a friend of mine this morning and have a long ride planned on Saturday with the couple who I did all my long training rides with for Austin.  Maybe that will help!  I hope so.   I have a friend who used to describe this type of attitude as “poosley”.  I think it’s a perfect word for what I’m feeling.  Its like when your friends are going out for dinner but you just want to stay home in your pajamas because you feel “poosley.”

Signed,

Poosley in Mississippi

2 comments:

  1. I had the same exact feeling after my 70.3! You work so long and hard, and focus so strongly on your goal that when you reach it, life just seems lacking. Signed up for a marathon: problem solved! Don't worry, I'm sure you have many great races and experiences ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to let my poor knees get better and start running again!! The weather is so perfect to be out on the roads!! :)

      Delete