Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Clipless Pedal Initiation

So I went to my favorite bike shop last Thursday, Hawley's Bicycle World!!  Got to see and visit with some good friends!  I picked up some mountain bike shoes and clipless pedals for Bill's bike and put them on his Rockhopper the next day. 

A couple days later we took the bikes out for a ride on the abandoned golf course across the street from where we live.  I gave Bill some basic instruction on clipless pedals.  In typical husband fashion he listened to part of what I said and claimed he knew what to do.  We started off down the road and in just a few hundred feet realized we were underdressed and turned back to go and get our wind vests. 

We pulled up onto the driveway and came to a stop by the garage door.  I got there first and was off my bike to get the garage door opener, turned to watch as Bill came up the driveway.  He rolled up to a stop, a complete stop, hovered for a moment and then ..... fell over onto his side, feet still clipped into the pedals.  At  first I was worried, then when I saw him smiling I couldn't help myself, I cracked up laughing.  Do you remember the guy on the tricycle on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In"?  I wish I'd had a camera!  Bill stayed there on the driveway for a minute - flat on his back, both of us laughing so hard that my face started to hurt. 

It's pretty much a given that the first or second time you get clipless pedals that you're going to fall over.  I've done it, I think everyone I know has fallen.  Bill has a couple of bruises, a couple of scrapes on his knee and a sore wrist.  (Yes, he was wearing a helmet.) 

You know what they say about cyclists?  There are two kinds.... "Those who have fallen, and those who are going to fall."   Initiation complete!

4 comments:

  1. Lol - I haven't gotten my bike & clipless pedals yet - but I would say it's a given that I'm going to dall - many times! I'll be sure to have the husband watching, camera in hand :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I did that alot in the beginning. Just sometimes forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya - fortunately there is a really short learning curve when it comes to clipless pedals! It just takes a few times to master, but you have to remember every time you come to a stop to prepare ahead and unclip your dominant foot/leg. And make sure that you're leaning slightly to the side you've unclipped when getting ready to put your foot down. A lot of people will unclip one foot and then lean toward the other and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol - I even remember the first time I put old fashion cages on my Schwinn 10 speed, rolled up to my parents gate in front of their house, couldn't get my foot out of the cage. Ran smack into the fence and fell over!! :)

    ReplyDelete