Monday, April 14, 2014

How To Get Faster

You want to get faster? I know the secret. You can read tons of material and follow all kinds of programs, but one of the easiest and less mentally consuming ways to get faster is to train with fast people. That's it, simple right? Mmm hmmm.

Be prepared to hurt like all get out though. My Dad used to say that you need to work your "jaw muscles", in other words - grit your teeth.

I started swimming once a week with the COSST Varsity kids, I'm in the second to slowest lane. The coach wanted me to move into the next lane up, but I think I'll stay here for awhile, it's not the speed that's killing me but the distance. The only day I can swim with them is Friday because I'm coaching my swimmers the other 4 days a week (if I could I'd be there 3x a week). 5,000 yards - in less than 2 hours, lots of different stroke work - not all freestyle. Both days we've pretty much finished in 1:40 - but that is when Butch decided to play what I am calling "Sprint Trivia". In other words he asks a question, usually History or Geography based and if we get the answer wrong we sprint a 50. Last week press outs and some dryland were incorporated in between the questions and sprints. I am so sore, not quite a bad as week one - that week we did one set of 16x100 with fins and paddles, arms were like noodles after that one!

Now that the weather is warming up the weekly brick workouts with the Sunrise Tri Club have started up again out at Cypress Lake. I've ridden with these guys a couple times. Last Saturday we rode to a place called Plain Dealing.... I wondered what this town was named for, so I looked it up:

"Tradition states Plain Dealing was named for the Virginia plantation with the golden rule name. Plain Dealing, both the town and the plantation’s namesake, stood for honesty and integrity as their name implies." I like that!

The guy in front of my was really squirrely so I had
to back off his wheel - he made me nervous,
had to go around him.
He wore a tri kit on a road ride.... ????
Back to the ride - it's not really too bad, I can hang with them... EXCEPT for on the hills. And the hills are not really that bad but the other riders are much stronger on them than me - talk about a sufferfest. But I did hang, got dropped once along with a couple other guys and one bridged us up going 28+ mph. We did a little over 54 miles and averaged 20.1 (it was 20.6 at the turn but the wind was with us going out). Plus, something that I've been meaning to blog about - they pretty much ALL ride their race wheels, we're talking 880's and even disc wheels. I don't get it. So I did some searching online about race vs. training wheels and of course I found people advocating both sides. On one it said you should get used to how your race wheels handle on turns, bumps, etc. And the other front which said, why would you chance of damaging your $$$$ wheels.

I ride my training wheels except for race day. They are heavier and make me work much harder, and I can't afford to replace them if I crash and damage them - and I want to feel that speed on race day. I will admit that I have ridden them twice with this group, once the day before a race and I'd already put them on my bike in preparation for the next day. And one other time when I had been too busy/lazy to take them off after a race. And guess what.... both times it was MUCH EASIER to hang with the group - big news flash there!

I'd be interested to know what you ride for your weekly training. Do you train on your race wheels?

See my jersey in the photo? And the little round yellow sensor on my helmet? You should check out ICEdot!

"ICEdot Products and Services Overview

ICEdot is an emergency ID and notification service innovating safety technology for athletes and outdoor enthusiasts. ICEdot syncs a secure online profile with products such as a band, helmet stickers or it’s latest product, the Crash Sensor. In Case Of Emergency, ICEdot has the ability share predesignated health and geolocation information over sms/text.

ICEdot ID products allow first responders to retrieve emergency information stored in an ICEdot profile. First responders send an SMS text message containing the PIN found on the ID product to the number specified and an immediate response message is returned containing information on the individual.

The Crash Sensor will mount onto any helmet and connects with your ICEdot Profile via a smartphone app. The system is able to detect motion, changes in forces and impacts. In the event of critical forces, the device triggers the app over low-energy Bluetooth to sound an alarm and initiate an emergency countdown. Unless the countdown clock is stopped, the app will then notify your emergency contacts and send GPS coordinates of the incident so that appropriate follow up actions can be taken."






No comments:

Post a Comment