Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mother Hen Syndrome

I've been told that I'm like a Mother Hen by my training partners.  Should I be offended by this reputation?? 



Usually I find that I've been riding and racing longer than all of the people that I train with combined and just like to feed them tidbits of information that I think will help them get better.  Or at least be more efficient??  Is this a bad thing?? 

I think for the most part the info that I pass along falls on deaf ears.  I notice the silent eye communication between them and the under the breath giggles.  I can't tell if they're serious or joking.  I have thin skin and sometimes it hurts my feelings.

Maybe I should just stop.  I honestly feel that what I've learned over the years can help so many others but maybe I should just worry about myself.  Maybe this will be my New Year's Resolution. 

What do you think??

3 comments:

  1. I have the same desire to share what has or has not worked for me over the past MANY years. I typically start with "for me...." but I'm sure some may take it the wrong way. I always share my passion for yoga because I believe in it so much for injury prevention and runner's nags. Most don't listen, and I know this, but it makes such a difference for me, I can't help myself.

    We have passion! Sure, some may take things the wrong way, but personally, I'm sure I will continue to share my passion.

    I personally love learning about what other runners do....some things I try, some I do not, but I love to learn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard someone talking on the radio the other day (I think she knew my name but didn't mention it (ha!)) and she said that most people who love to give advice have to be careful that the receiver WANTS advice. So many times, I give advice when what the other person wanted was for me to listen so they felt heard.

    This has been eye-opening for me. I tried this (accidentally) the other day when a friend was discussing a relationship problem and I had a mouth-full of food. Of course, I had all kinds of advice swimming around my brain, but my mouth was preoccupied. Turned out, once she was done ranting, she thanked me for helping her! I hadn't done a thing but act as a wooden statue!

    I'm also thin-skinned, so I guess that's why we are friends and understand each other. It's hard to know something and not share the wisdom, but it is equally as good to try the "quiet" route and see if that trumps the advice.

    My two cents!

    Oh, and you are a great person and a super resource. Mike loved his watch!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries Ginger, you shouldn't take this personally. I would certainly listen to any advice you or any professional level athlete had to offer! They certainly don't have to use it, and courtesy on their part is lacking.

    ReplyDelete